Computer tablets have been present in the healthcare industry for several years now. Since its introduction, the technology has continued to evolve, changing the way healthcare workers engage with patients. Newer models contain more capacity for advanced/newer features, making it is crucial for healthcare facilities to stay up to date in this ever-changing environment. That is why we complied a list of the 5 most popular tablets that will benefit your healthcare clinic. Use this list as a guide to picking your next tablet purchase.
Of all the tablets widely available to the public, two are most often chosen for use in healthcare: Samsung’s Galaxy Tab and Apple’s iPad.
1. The Galaxy Tab is a fully functioning tablet that can be loaded with medical information software, m-EMR. The tablet allows doctors to access patient information from anywhere, making it easier to discuss with patients their health status. The m-EMR offers a database of supporting information, and doctor/patient messaging portals which boosts patient involvement and treatment adherence.
2. The iPad is another consumer device that is a top choice of physicians. Despite lacking an industry tailored designed, healthcare relevant apps, software and the user-friendly platform allows this device to be a front-runner in healthcare technology. The sheer number of excellent health care apps and the industry leading functionality of the iPad allows this consumer tablet to compete with enterprise tablets in the medical arena (Bostic, 2013).
3. The Dell Venue Pro 11 Tablet is a consumer device that is also being implemented in healthcare facilities. The tablet is beneficial to IT staff, doctors, and nurses. It enables them to reduce administrative workload by allowing them to turn their focus to patients. IT staff is able can ensure data security on tablets and conform to regulatory compliance standards for patient privacy.
4. The Lenovo ThinkPad 10 brings functionality and productivity to a whole new level. With 10 hours of battery life and weighing less than 1.5 pounds, this tablet is made to keep up with a fast-paced environment. It includes a TPM 2.0 (Trusted Platform Module) and options for fingerprint and SmartCard readers, these make the ThinkPad 10 an ideal option for a healthcare clinic (TabTimes).
5. Motion Computing offers four different “rugged tablets”, two of which are fully-sealed and disinfectable, compliant with infection control protocols, and equipped with data management systems that ensure the security of patient data. These tablets include the Motion CL910 and C5TE, which are slightly different to meet the needs of different health care professionals and settings.
About the Author
Photo Credit: ShutterStock
Bostic, K. As medicine goes digital, Apple’s iPad is top choice among doctors (2013). Apple Insider. http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/05/31/as-medicine-goes-digital-apples-ipad-is-top-choice-among-doctors